Thursday, January 24, 2008

past experiences/new experiences

Yesterday I did something that I hadn't done since I was a teenager. I had pictures taken of me...yes just me. It was nice to have a photo shoot just for myself. (no I will not be posting them.... they were done for me) I had a friend take the pictures. It was something that I have wanted to do for a very long time. I think I might even have some professionally done some time soon. (those I will post if I end up doing it) I have always wanted to do that sinse I was very young but never thought I was pretty enough or thin enough. Now I know that it really doesn't matter because if the photographer is good enough they can put you in all different types of poses to make you look amazing.

Another thing that I'm wanting to do again is to play the piano. When I was a kid I think I went to 2 lessons. My grandmother always said I have piano hands and that I should learn how to play. I guess that meant that I have either big hands or long fingers. I have always wanted to go back and take lessons but, I always had an excuse why not to go. I am done making excuses and are willing and wanting to learn how to play the piano well.

Aaron and I had sang a song together before I had neck surgery back in 99'. Along with the piano lessons I am planning on taking vocal lessons too. My reason for doing this is because when I had the neck surgery they had to cut one of my vocal chords to remove a tumor that was around it. For 3 months I could not talk at all. It was not fun, just imagine trying to talk to a 9 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. For anyone to hear me I would have to lean into their ear and whisper. I have never fully received my original voice back. If you listen close you can hear a slight rasp. Taking these lessons will be a brand new experience for me because I have never done this before.

In the past I would have absolutely not drank coffee of any kind. I couldn't even stand the smell of it........now I find myself wanting coffee almost everyday. But not just plain coffee. I like going to Starbucks to get a peppermint white chocolate mocha while sitting with a book or a friend to chat with.

Not to sure where I wanted to go with this today except that I did a few of these things the last few days and boy did they make me feel great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, since Shannon seems to think she knows who I am and she seems to agree that I have "vast knowledge" (by the way..thanks), I guess I should write a book like I tend to do at times just to keep with the pattern that apparently gave away my identity. BUT... if everybody knew who I was...I would be back to stammering and studdering my way through each and every conversation. I couldn't convince anyone that I have all of that vast knowledge. So..I'll keep it shorter for tonight, and still keep it anonymous.

You should have never worried about not being pretty or thin enough! You've got it goin on in both areas! Nothing to worry about.
Piano.. go for it. I started lessons early and gave up too soon, and regret it to this day. You'll do great!
Voice..You know some people think a lady with a "rasp" in her voice sounds quiet nice! (there are other words for describing that kind of voice, but I'm smart enough to sensor my comments). But go for the lessons if it makes you feel better and I'll look forward to hearing you sing in front of a large croud (like on Sunday morning).
And lastly..Coffee... You'll start wit the "fru-fru" kind like the peppermint white chocolate mocha, and when you grow up..you'll be craving plain old Foldgers (black with no sugar). I do still go for the "fru-fru" every once in a while (white chocolate mocha WITHOUT the peppermint). Good stuff!

These are all great things to do. Take time for yourself...you deserve it. Be sure you share the photo's when they are available.

Later

Jeanne robinson said...

Dear Christina
Just wanted to let you know that I am so happy for you that you are trying all these fun things. God is so good. He really has His hands on you and the children. We have an Awesome Savior. Keep being strong. Have a blessed week. (You do know that I have a blog now.) Love ya, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hey girly. The photo shoot was a blast and when I get to feeling better I will be taking some more. I am glad that it made you feel beautiful as you truly are. I love ya lots and I will talk to ya soon:)

Beth said...

It's so easy to get stuck in the rut of doing the same old things over and over again. And when you branch out and try something new it can be really refreshing. I've been considering doing some new things myself. My doctor said my leg is almost totally healed, so pretty soon I can dance again. I think I want to tap, but I'm looking at my options.

Also, I wanted to post something that you wrote in your blog back in early November. It was so encouraging for me that I also posted it on mine. Tonight I was looking through my old posts to just see what all I've written about and I came to your message. Here is what you said:

"One thing(of many) that the Lord has tought me through the loss of my husband is to live life like you weren't promised tomorrow, because we aren't. Enjoy each moment, give everything you have, and treat each other with respect and love, like Jesus did.

Ruts and potholes. Shadows and darkness. The journey of life can sometimes be very troubling. We are fearful of the unknown. But God's word reminds us to trust, to beleive, and to hope. Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them- the Lord, who remains faithful forever. Psalm 146:5-6"

Just as it uplifted me the first time I read it...it did so again when I found it today. I think I'll keep that quote from you handy to brighten my days.

Love ya girl!